Saturday, March 1, 2008

A Composer for Pianists

Today in 1810, Frederic Chopin was born in Poland. Every composition he wrote involved the piano somehow, and the vast majority are for solo piano. I think I've played more piano pieces by Chopin than any composer. His music is irresistible to play. Although much of it is pretty difficult, the rewards in playing it are so great, it's worth practicing your head off for the end result. I'm not in the mood to write a long blog this time (sorry Chopin, got kinda burned out on my long blog for Handel), so I thought I'd just link some of my favorite pieces instead. You can read the wikipedia article for a very thorough treatment of his life and musical style, etc.

I had a hard time trimming down what I would link to, but here's one piece from just about every genre he composed from. Several are of pianist Artur Rubinstein, probably Chopin's greatest intrepreter (and also Polish).

- Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 in Eb Major
- Grand Polonaise Brilliante, featured in the movie "The Pianist"
- Grande Waltz Brilliante Op. 34 No. 1
- Fantaisie-Impromptu
- Prelude Op. 28 No. 16
- Etudes Op. 10 Nos. 8 and 5
- Mazurka Op. 33 No. 4 in B minor. The Mazurkas are lesser known, but very charming, delightful pieces that range the whole gamut of emotions. In contrast to a waltz, which has its emphasis on the first beat of each measure (ONE-two-three, ONE-two-three, etc.), the Mazurka has it's emphasis on the second beat of each measure (one-TWO-three). I'd highly recommend the 2-CD set recorded by Artur Rubinstein featuring 51 Mazurkas (this set also includes the 4 scherzi)
- Ballade No. 1 in G minor, also featured in the movie "The Pianist", during the very moving scene when the Nazi official finds Jewish pianist Szpilman (actor Adrien Brody) hiding out and wants to hear him play.
- Scherzo No. 3 in C# minor
- Sonata No. 3, 4th movement
- Concerto No. 1, 2nd movement, one of the most beautiful, magical moments in all classical music.

2 comments:

Cheryl FM said...

AMEN to all of that! I walked down the aisle at my wedding to the E flat Nocturne. I'm currently working on the C sharp minor Fantasy Impromptu.

Hope all is well...thanks for all of this writing. :)

buggydaddy said...

You're welcome! Yeah, I think no matter what music working on, I always have a Chopin piece I'm trying to learn on the side...