Friday, November 23, 2007

More Spanish Music

I just found out that YouTube has tons of clips of musicians playing entire pieces (instead of just excerpts that I've been linking to on the previous blog-entries). This was a gold-mine for me and I spent several hours looking up this and that pianist playing pieces I'd wanted to hear them play. My CD wish list just decreased because I have no need to buy a lot of them now!

Anyway, today in 1876 was the birthday of Manuel de Falla, one of Spain's most important composers of the 20th century. One of his most popular pieces is the "Ritual Fire Dance" from his ballet, "El amor brujo" (Love, The Magician). Watch Artur Rubinstein (a pianist to whom de Falla had dedicated other works) play a piano transcription of the piece here and decide for yourself if the name fits the piece's character.

No comments: