Saturday, December 8, 2007

Music from Finland and Bohemia

Today, in 1865, Jean Sibelius was born in Finland. Some of his most noteworthy compositions are Finlandia, his Violin Concerto, and his 7 symphonies. To be honest, I really only know the Violin Concerto, a rather stern, austere, yet beautiful and scenic piece, and one of my favorite violin concertos. It's easy for me to picture some cold, snowy, beautiful landscape when I listen to it. Watch and listen to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd movements, played by a very young Hilary Hahn.

In response to some rather harsh criticisms of his music in the mid 20th century, Sibelius was quoted as saying, "Pay no attention to what critics say. No statue has ever been put up to a critic." His words have proven true, as his music is widely played and loved today.

Also today, in 1890, Bohuslav Martinu was born in Bohemia. I have heard virtually none of his music, except for one very special piece. If you've ever heard the beginning and ending of Jim Sveda's program on KUSC (Classical Music, 91.5 FM in the greater Los Angeles area) starting at 7pm on weeknights, you'll hear a very interesting and slightly jazzy piece for piano and several strings. It starts with such playful tranquility, clarity, interesting jazz-like harmonies, syncopated rhythms, etc., then it kind of turns a little bit weird, and the music fades and the program begins. I loved that first 2 minutes so much, though, I had to find out what it was, and I got a CD of the whole piece. Well, that 2 minutes is really the best part - the rest of it is very modern and difficult for me to get into. I still hunted down the sheet music so I could play that one part. :) Watch and listen to the Archangelo quartet play the 3rd movement here.

No comments: