Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Music in Rochester

Well, I'm 3 days into my orientation for residency, and so much has happened already.

First day was a bunch of short talks from all sorts of people on varied topics. The other two days have been computer training, getting our schedules, talks about research in residency, etc.

The first evening, there was an informal meet and greet with all the new internal medicine residents (and families - there were about 4 3-year olds running around, including mine!) and a few older residents and staff physicians (they call them "consultants" instead of "attendings" here). The program here is so large (71 interns this year!), they intentionally have us in groups, each with a physician mentor.

So that night I met my group's mentor - turns out he's a very skilled classically-trained pianist who still plays a lot. He knew that I played a lot, too, and we got to talking. He said he would put me in touch with another resident who is a serious violinist. Apparently he has been looking for a pianist to play with...

...so today I had the afternoon free, and I get this call from the violinist resident. Turns out he is also doing the "research-track" residency/fellowship in Heme-Onc like I am doing! He was planning on meeting his cellist friend this evening to read through a bunch of music. Would I like to join them? Would I ever!

We played for 2.5 hours together in the Mayo lobby (the Bosendorfer piano!). The entire Mendelssohn C Minor (Op. 66) trio and the slow movement of the D minor (Op. 49), as well as the entire Schubert Bb Major (D. 898) trio and the slow movement of the Eb Major (D. 929). This was such an enjoyable experience! All three of us really felt privileged to be playing together. What a blessing! I believe this collaboration will continue...

8 comments:

Dad said...

What was Katie doing when you were playing with your group?

Cheryl said...

Jealous of your group (I've got mine, but we're pretty committed to the D minor Mendelssohn at this point) and in humorous agreement with the person id'ed as "Dad". Glad to hear things are all falling into place! All those pictures from your trip were great...your girls are getting so BIG!

Katie said...

Don't worry :). Dan watched the girls for at least an hour before he left so I could sleep. And on Saturday, he watched the girls for a whole morning while I went to a coffee shop by myself. I figure as long as this continues, I'll encourage the musical trio ;-). Some guys go golfing or camping or hunting. Dan plays classical music with the guys :).

buggydaddy said...

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified in my original post that I had the wifey's full support on this one...

buggydaddy said...

by the way, Cheryl, that's really awesome - the Mendelssohn D minor is one of the best trios in the literature - hope it goes well!

Mom Diane said...

That's amazing, Dan, that your mentor turns out to be a classical pianist! I'm glad you have Katie's full approval for this one - sure sounds like fun!

KirkP said...

Hi Dan. Great to review your updates. and the music experience must have been great! God is good! Miss you guys. Kirk

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.