Monday, June 1, 2009

The Perpetual Student Finally Graduated!

...after 4 years of undergraduate followed by 1 year of work experience followed by 8 years of an MD and a PhD in Biochemistry, I'm finally done.

Yes, that's right folks. Eight days ago I graduated from medical school (I finished the PhD last year), so now I'm officially a mud-phud (MD, PhD). I consider myself very fortunate and blessed to have finished in a reasonable amount of time. Sometimes it can take 8 years to do just a PhD alone.

So now I'm officially done with school forever! ...um sort of. I'm afraid I can't give up schooling without a fight. In 2 weeks, I'm starting a residency program in Internal Medicine. Residency is still sort of like school, although they do pay you, which is nice.

I actually ended up matching into a combined residency-research-fellowship track at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. It may take me another 8 years to finish it! Internal Medicine (2 to 3 years), Research (2 years), and Hematology/Oncology fellowship (3 years if I double board, 2 if I single-board in either Hematology or Oncology).

I'm looking forward to this next stage of life. Life will definitely be different in Minnesota for a native California boy and his native Californian wife! Our almost 3 and 1 year-old daughters will probably be just fine - snow is fun when you're a kid.

Here are a few pictures from graduation:





3 comments:

chad said...

Congratulations! i hope you can take a breath these next two weeks. Also, what is the medal?

Unknown said...

Mr. Rogstad! Congrats! Alas that MN is so far away. How are we ever going to visit you guys?

I just finished at Regent also. But no "Dr" title goes with my degree. :-)

buggydaddy said...

Thanks Dan and Chad. Congrats on finishing up at Regents, Dan - that's great! The medal was given to everyone who graduated this year, for the centennial of Loma Linda University (founded in 1909). Not really an award, but it looks nice!